The flu virus kills thousands on an average year, but this is anything but an average year. The vaccine is the best protection. Help us help you protect against flu.
Flu is a serious condition that kills thousands and hospitalizes thousands more in England each year. The flu vaccination is the best protection for you and those around you which is why it is offered for free for those most at risk.
Adults at high risk from flu are also most at risk from COVID-19 and the free vaccine is more important than ever, to help protect the nation from a double threat this winter.
The practice has started its annual flu campaign.
Our first lot of scheduled vaccination clinics will be held on:
- Saturday 12th September (Over 65’s only) – NOW FULLY BOOKED
- Tuesday 29th September – NOW FULLY BOOKED
- Tuesday 6th October – NOW FULLY BOOKED
- Saturday 10th October – Under 65’s FULLY BOOKED / Over 65’s STILL AVAILABLE
- Tuesday 13th October – Over 65’s ONLY – APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE
- Tuesday 20th October – Under 65’s FULLY BOOKED / Over 65’s STILL AVAILABLE
- Tuesday 3rd November – Under 65’s ONLY – APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE
To book into a 30 minute time slot – please visit our dedicated booking page: https://www.picktime.com/ThornburyFluClinics
Please ensure you arrive within your booked time slot otherwise we are unable to guarantee that you will be seen
Please note that we have a limited number of slots available for each clinic so please book yourself in as soon as possible.
Details of further flu clinics and clinics available for patients under 65 will be made available on this page WEEK BEGINNING 21/09/2020
How will it work on the day?
You should attend the practice within your 30min booked time slot
You will be queuing (socially distanced) OUTSIDE of the surgery building, so please bring an umbrella if you think it may rain
The practice will have multiple clinicians administering flu jabs on the day, so you will not be given an assigned clinician in advance
Please report to the entrance of the surgery, where you will need to check in with the surgery receptionist who will be stationed at the door
Please wear a short sleeve top to the clinic, wear a face mask, remove coats before entering the health centre and importantly if you feel poorly or have symptoms of Covid-19 please DO NOT attend the practice. These steps will ensure a smooth and efficient clinic for your safety.
You will be directed to a clinical room for your flu jab. Whilst in the practice please DO NOT touch any surfaces.
The practice will be operating a ONE WAY system, and you will be exiting the practice via the back fire exit door. There is a STEP down from the fire exit door, so if you feel unable to navigate down one step, please let the receptionist know when you check in.
Please note – flu vaccinations are only available to patients who are eligible to received the flu vaccination FREE on the NHS:
All patients aged 65 and over are automatically eligible for the free flu vaccine ( born on or before 31 March 1956)
At Risk Categories: Patients aged from 6 months to 64 years of age with a serious medical condition such as:
- chronic (long-term) respiratory disease, such as severe asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or bronchitis
- chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
- chronic kidney disease at stage three, four or five
- chronic liver disease
- chronic neurological disease, such as Parkinson’s disease or motor neurone disease, or learning disability
- splenic dysfunction or asplenia
- a weakened immune system due to disease (such as HIV/AIDS) or treatment (such as cancer treatment)
- morbidly obese (defined as BMI of 40 and above)
- All pregnant women
- Frontline Health & Social Workers
- the main carer of an older or disabled person
Please note that people in the 50-64-year old age group will not be vaccinated until November and December, providing there is sufficient vaccine, and no appointments will be offered for this age group until then. This is to ensure that those who are most at risk are vaccinated first. If you are 50-64 and you are in one of the other groups which is eligible for the flu vaccination, for example you have a health condition which puts you at risk from the flu, you will be invited earlier.
- all those aged two and three (but not aged less than two or aged four years or over on 31 August 2020).(i.e. born on or after 1 September 2016 and on
or before 31 August 2018)
Children aged 4 years BEFORE or on 31st August 2020 are vaccinated as part of the school vaccine program. WE ARE NOT CONTRACTED TO VACCINATE THESE CHILDREN and therefore not funded to vaccinate. The school vaccine programme is responsible for notifying parents of school clinic dates, plus any catch up clinics. We do not have this information. Please do NOT miss these vaccine dates. We are unable to help if you do. Any child aged 4 years in any AT RISK category above can be vaccinated at surgery as we are contracted and funded to vaccinate at risk patients.
CHILDREN’S FLU VACCINES NOW AVAILABLE
PLEASE CONTACT RECEPTION ON 020 8630 1036 TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
Last Updated 10/9/20