The flu virus kills thousands on an average year, but this is anything but an average year. The vaccine is the best protection. Help us help you protect against flu.
Flu is a serious condition that kills thousands and hospitalizes thousands more in England each year. The flu vaccination is the best protection for you and those around you which is why it is offered for free for those most at risk.
Adults at high risk from flu are also most at risk from COVID-19 and the free vaccine is more important than ever, to help protect the nation from a double threat this winter.
UPDATE – Patients aged 50 – 64 years old
The FREE NHS flu vaccination is now available to all patients aged 50 – 64 years old. The practice will be receiving further vaccination stock for this age group week ending 18th December 2020. Appointments to receive the vaccination will be available Mon 21st Dec – Weds 23rd Dec.
Please visit our dedicated booking page to book into a 30 minute time slot: https://www.picktime.com/ThornburyFluClinics
You will receive your exact appointment time (within your 30 min time slot) at least 1 day before your appointment.
Please note that we have a limited number of vaccines available so please book yourself in as soon as possible.
How will it work on the day?
Please ensure you arrive NO MORE THAN 5 minutes before your appointment. We make this request to maintain social distancing requirements within the waiting area.
Please report to reception to check in.
Please wear a short sleeve top to the clinic, wear a face mask, remove coats before entering the health centre and importantly if you feel poorly or have symptoms of Covid-19 please DO NOT attend the practice. These steps will ensure a smooth and efficient clinic for your safety.
You will be directed to a clinical room for your flu jab. Whilst in the practice please DO NOT touch any surfaces.
UPDATE – Other patients eligible for the flu vaccination
- Patients aged 65 or over – we have lots of flu jabs available for your age group – please contact reception to arrange an appointment – 020 8630 1036
- Patients aged 18 – 64 years with an underlying medical condition – we have limited flu jabs available for your age group – please contact reception to arrange an appointment – 020 8630 1036 ASAP
- Patients aged 6 months – 18 years with an underlying medical condition – we have lots of flu jabs available for your age group – please contact reception to arrange an appointment – 020 8630 1036
- Children aged 2-3 years old – we have lots of flu jabs available for your age group – please contact reception to arrange an appointment – 020 8630 1036
Please note – flu vaccinations are only available to patients who are eligible to received the flu vaccination FREE on the NHS:
All patients aged 65 and over are automatically eligible for the free flu vaccine ( born on or before 31 March 1956)
At Risk Categories: Patients aged from 6 months to 64 years of age with a serious medical condition such as:
- chronic (long-term) respiratory disease, such as severe asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or bronchitis
- chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
- chronic kidney disease at stage three, four or five
- chronic liver disease
- chronic neurological disease, such as Parkinson’s disease or motor neurone disease, or learning disability
- splenic dysfunction or asplenia
- a weakened immune system due to disease (such as HIV/AIDS) or treatment (such as cancer treatment)
- morbidly obese (defined as BMI of 40 and above)
- All pregnant women
- Frontline Health & Social Workers
- the main carer of an older or disabled person
Please note that people in the 50-64-year old age group will not be vaccinated until November and December, providing there is sufficient vaccine, and no appointments will be offered for this age group until then. This is to ensure that those who are most at risk are vaccinated first. If you are 50-64 and you are in one of the other groups which is eligible for the flu vaccination, for example you have a health condition which puts you at risk from the flu, you will be invited earlier.
- all those aged two and three (but not aged less than two or aged four years or over on 31 August 2020).(i.e. born on or after 1 September 2016 and on
or before 31 August 2018)
Children aged 4 years BEFORE or on 31st August 2020 are vaccinated as part of the school vaccine program. WE ARE NOT CONTRACTED TO VACCINATE THESE CHILDREN and therefore not funded to vaccinate. The school vaccine programme is responsible for notifying parents of school clinic dates, plus any catch up clinics. We do not have this information. Please do NOT miss these vaccine dates. We are unable to help if you do. Any child aged 4 years in any AT RISK category above can be vaccinated at surgery as we are contracted and funded to vaccinate at risk patients.
CHILDREN’S FLU VACCINES NOW AVAILABLE
PLEASE CONTACT RECEPTION ON 020 8630 1036 TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
Last Updated 4/12/20